Thinking is the cognitive process of forming thoughts and opinions, considering information, and coming to logical conclusions. It involves various mental activities, such as reasoning, analyzing, problem-solving, decision-making, and imagining.
Thinking allows individuals to understand the world around them, make sense of their experiences, and generate ideas. It is an essential aspect of human intelligence and consciousness.
It’s common and expected that when terrible occurrences like losing a loved one occur, you may interpret events incorrectly and only consider the negative parts of the situation. However, you might feel worse if you overly perceive events negatively.
Even if it is not possible to completely stop thinking as it is a natural and essential function of the brain. However, there are some techniques that can help individuals manage and quit their thoughts :
- Mindfulness and meditation : practicing mindfulness and meditation can help train to focus on the present moment and observe thoughts without getting caught up in them ;
- Deep breathing exercises : taking slow, deep breaths can help calm the mind and bring focus away from racing thoughts ;
- Engaging in physical activity : exercise and physical activity can redirect the mind’s focus to the body’s movements, thereby reducing excessive thinking ;
- Engaging in hobbies or activities : occupying oneself with enjoyable and interesting activities can divert attention from repetitive or intrusive thoughts ;
- Journaling : writing down thoughts and feelings in a journal can provide an outlet for self-expression and help process thoughts more effectively ;
- Seeking support : talking to a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional can offer guidance, support, and a fresh perspective on managing excessive thinking.
Unlike positive thinking, healthy thinking entails approaching life and the outside environment by examining the positive, negative, and neutral aspects before making judgments. In other words, healthy thinking means looking at life and the world in a balanced way.