The World Health Organization defines positive mental health as “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”.
So positive mental health includes:
- having a sense of being in charge of your life and personal choices;
- being capable of handling the difficulties and pressures of life;
- having good mental health, such as being able to concentrate at work;
- having a positive outlook on life’s events; this entails holding up hope that favorable events can, will, and do occur in your life;
- having a sound physical condition;
- getting enough sleep;
- getting a sense of community.
You can deal with issues and obstacles more readily when you have good mental health. This is called resilience.